Place:


Poolewe  Ross and Cromarty

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Poolewe like this:

Poolewe, a village and a quoad sacra parish in Gairloch parish, Ross-shire. The village stands at the head of Loch Ewe, and at one of the western terminations of the military road from Dingwall through the centre of Ross-shire, 2 miles NNW of the foot of Loch Maree, 6 NNW of Gairloch village, 7 S by W of Aultbea, 27½ WNW of Auchnasheen station, and 55¼ W by N of Dingwall. ...


A chief point of communication across the Minch with the Outer Hebrides, it serves as a conjoint centre with Gairloch village and Kinlochewe for visiting the superb scenery of Loch Maree; and has a post office, with money order, Savings' bank, and telegraph departments, an inn, an Established church, a Free church, and a public school. The Established church was built in 1828, and contains 350- sittings. The quoad sacra parish, constituted by ecclesiastical authority in 1838, and reconstituted by civil authority in 1851, is in the presbytery of Lochcarron and synod of Glenelg. The minister's stipend is £138. Pop. of q. s. parish (1871) 2623, (1881) 2317, of whom 2l98 were Gaelic-speaking.—Ord. Sur., sh. 91,

Poolewe through time

Poolewe is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Poolewe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Poolewe, in Highland and Ross and Cromarty | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21596

Date accessed: 25th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Poolewe ".