Place:


Meltham Mills  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Meltham Mills like this:

MELTHAM-MILLS, a village and a chapelry in Almondbury parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands ¾ of a mile E of Meltham, and 3 WSW of Berry-Brow r. station. The chapelry comprises parts of the townships of Meltham and Honley, and was made parochial in 1866. Rated property, £1,700. ...


Pop., 1,196. Houses, 236. The property is divided among a few. There are extensive cotton mills and a large silk mill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £300.* Patron,B rook, Esq. The church was built in 1845; is a handsome cruciform edifice, in the pointed style; and has a tower and spire. There are a national school and an infant school.

Meltham Mills through time

Meltham Mills is now part of Kirklees district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kirklees has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Meltham Mills itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Meltham Mills, in Kirklees and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21536

Date accessed: 24th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Meltham Mills ".