Place:


Meanwood  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Meanwood like this:

MEANWOOD, a hamlet and a chapelry in Leeds parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The hamlet lies on the E side of a thickly-wooded dell, 2½ miles N E of Kirkstall r. station, and 4 N by W of Leeds; contains some handsome residences; and has a post office under Leeds. The chapelry was constituted in 1847. ...


Rated property, £2,643. Pop., 1,321. Houses, 303. The property is divided among a few. Meanwood House is a modern mansion. The surface shows diversified scenery, and commands a view of the town of Leeds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £150.* Patrons, Mrs. and Miss Beckett. The church is modern; and was built at the expense of Mrs. and Miss Beckett.

Meanwood through time

Meanwood is now part of Leeds district. Click here for graphs and data of how Leeds has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Meanwood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Meanwood, in Leeds and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21534

Date accessed: 16th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Meanwood ".