Place:


Highnam  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Highnam like this:

HIGHNAM, a hamlet and a chapelry in Churcham parish, Gloucestershire. The hamlet lies near the river Severn, 2 miles WNW of Gloucester r. station. Pop., 218. Houses, 45. Highnam Court was built after a design by Inigo Jones; belonged formerly to the Cookes and to the baronet family of Guise; and belongs now to T. ...


G. Parry, Esq. The chapelry was constituted in 1851; and its post town is Gloucester. Pop., 357. Houses, 70. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £130.* Patron, T. G. Parry, Esq. The church is modern and elegant; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and lofty spire.

Highnam through time

Highnam is now part of Tewkesbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tewkesbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Highnam itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Highnam, in Tewkesbury and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21462

Date accessed: 20th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Highnam ".