Place:


Frenchay  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Frenchay like this:

FRENCHAY, a tything and a chapelry in Winterbourne parish, Gloucester. The tything lies on an affluent of the river Avon, 2 miles NNW of Mangotsfield r. station, and 4 NE of Bristol; is a conjoint tything with Hambrook; and has a post office under Bristol. Pop., 1, 621. Houses, 358. The chapelry was constituted in 1836; and is less extensive than the tything. ...


Pop., 1, 531. Houses, 337. The property is divided among a few. Frenchay House is a chief residence. A thin vein of coal occurs here in a solid rock. The living is a rectory in the diocese of G. and Bristol. Value, £. 500. Patron, St. John's College, Oxford. The church is good.

Frenchay through time

Frenchay is now part of South Gloucestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Gloucestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Frenchay itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Frenchay in South Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21420

Date accessed: 18th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Frenchay ".