Cyfarthfa  Glamorgan


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cyfarthfa like this:

CYFARTHA, a chapelry in Merthyr-TydviI parish, Glamorgan; on the N verge of the county, 1 mile N of Merthyr-Tydvil town and r. station. It was constituted in 1846. Post town, Merthyr-Tydvil. Pop., 7, 888. Houses, 1, 579. Great iron-works here were begun, about 1765, by Mr. Anthony Bacon; passed through several hands, into the possession of Messrs. ...

Crawshay and Hill; and include now seven furnaces, besides vast puddling and rolling mills. Cyfartha Castle, a good modern edifice with a round tower, situated immediately above the works, is the residence of R. Crawshay, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £300. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church is recent.

Cyfarthfa through time

Cyfarthfa is now part of Merthyr Tydfil district. Click here for graphs and data of how Merthyr Tydfil has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cyfarthfa itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cyfarthfa, in Merthyr Tydfil and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 18th October 2019

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cyfarthfa ".