Place:


Burray  Orkney

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Burray like this:

Burray, an island and a parish in the S of Orkney. The island, lying between South Ronaldshay and Pomona, is separated from the former by Water Sound, 5 furlongs wide, from the latter by Holm Sound, 1½ mile wide. With an irregular outline, rudely resembling three limbs of a Greek cross, it measures about 4 miles in length from E to W, and from less than 1 mile to about 2¼ miles in breadth; and is nearly all low land, incumbent on sandstone and schistose rocks. ...


It has a post office under Kirkwall. Burray was the birthplace of the novelist, Mrs Mary Brunton or Balfour (17781818). Its inhabitants are maintained chiefly by fishing. The parish comprehends the islands of Burray, Hunda, and Glenisholm, and is united to South Ronaldshay. Its church, falling to ruin about 1800, is now substituted by a chapel of ease (stipend, £67 with manse). There is also a U.P. church; and a public school, with accommodation for 130 children, had (1879) an average attendance of 82, and a grant of £66,4s.

Burray through time

Burray is now part of Orkney Islands district. Click here for graphs and data of how Orkney Islands has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Burray itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burray in Orkney Islands | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21355

Date accessed: 17th November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Burray ".