Place:


Burneside  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Burneside like this:

BURNESIDE, or Byrneshead, a chapelry in Kendal parish, Westmoreland; on the river Kent and the Windermere railway, 2 miles NNW of Kendal. It has a station on the railway, and includes the townships of Strickland-Kettle, Strickland-Roger, and part of Skelsmergh; and its Post Town is Kendal. Rated property, £6,772. ...


Pop., exclusive of the part of Skelsmergh, 905. Houses, 173. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Earl of Lonsdale. Burneside Hall was formerly the seat of the Braithwaites, one of whom wrote "Drunken Barnaby's Journal;" and is now the seat of the Gales. Godmond Hall belonged formerly to the Godmonds, and was fortified. There is a "holy well." Paper making is carried on. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £120. Patrons, Trustees. The church was rebuilt in 1825.

Burneside through time

Burneside is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Burneside itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burneside, in South Lakeland and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21354

Date accessed: 08th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Burneside ".