Place:


Brimscombe  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brimscombe like this:

BRIMSCOMBE, a hamlet in Minchinhampton parish and a chapelry in Minchinhampton and Rodborough parishes, Gloucester. The hamlet stands adjacent to the Thames and Severn canal, and to the Great Western Union railway, 3 miles ESE of Stroud; and has a station on the railway, a post office under Stroud, and a hotel. ...


The chapelry includes Chalford and other hamlets; and was constituted in 1840. Rated property, £4,869. Pop., 1,430. Houses, 322. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £300.* Patron, D. Ricardo, Esq. The church was built in 1839. There are two Methodist chapels and a national school.

Brimscombe through time

Brimscombe is now part of Stroud district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stroud has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brimscombe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brimscombe, in Stroud and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21350

Date accessed: 15th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brimscombe ".