Place:


Cullercoates  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cullercoates like this:

CULLERCOATES, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Tynemouth parish, Northumberland. The village stands on the coast, near the Blythe railway, 1¼ mile-NNW of Tynemouth; is a sea-bathing resort; and has a station on the railway, a post office under North Shields, and a new hotel founded in 1869. ...


The township is included within Tynemouth borough. Coal and stone have been worked; mineral springs exist; and fisheries are carried on. Pop., 866. Houses, 131. The chapelry was constituted in 1860. Pop., 1, 566. Houses, 271. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £200.* Patron, the Duke of Northumberland. The church is recent; and there are chapels for Independents and Primitive Methodists.

Cullercoates through time

Cullercoates is now part of North Tyneside district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Tyneside has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cullercoates itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cullercoates, in North Tyneside and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21323

Date accessed: 21st July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cullercoates ".