Place:


Hatcham  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hatcham like this:

HATCHAM, a manor and a chapelry in Deptford-St. Paul parish; the former in Surrey, the latter partly also in Kent. The manor lies on the London-Bridge and New Croydon railway, at New Cross station, 2 miles SW by W of Deptford; and has two post offices, the one E of New Cross Tollgate, under Deptford, London SE, -the other W of New Cross Tollgate, under Peckham, London SE. ...


It was known at Domesday as Hacheham; and it was held by the Brixi, who gave name to Brixton hundred. Acres, 670. Pop. in 1851, 4, 074; in 1861, 5, 731. Houses, 969. Hatcham House and Hatcham Manor House are chief resideuces.—The chapelry was constituted in 1845. Pop. in 1861, 9, 887. Houses, 1, 630. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London Value, £160.* Patron, the Rev. A. K. B. Granville. The church was bnilt in 1850, is in the Gothic style, and stood incomplete at the beginning of 1865.

Hatcham through time

Hatcham is now part of Lewisham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lewisham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hatcham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hatcham, in Lewisham and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21311

Date accessed: 26th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hatcham ".