Place:


Ripley  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ripley like this:

RIPLEY, a village, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Guild ford district, Surrey. The village stands near the river Wey, 3½ miles S E by E of Woking r. station, and 6 N E of Guild ford; and has a post-office under Woking Station, and fairs on 22 July and 11 Nov. The chapelry is in Send parish. ...


Pop., 933. Houses, 177. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Send, in the diocese of Winchester. The church was mainly rebuilt in 1846; but retains the chancel of an early Englishchapel, which belonged to Newark priory. There is a national school.—The sub-district contains also therest of Send parish, and two other parishes. Acres, 8, 823. Pop., 2, 591. Houses, 481.

Ripley through time

Ripley is now part of Guildford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Guildford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ripley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ripley, in Guildford and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21287

Date accessed: 22nd January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ripley ".