Place:


Upper Tooting  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Upper Tooting like this:

TOOTING (Upper), or T.-Bec, a chapelry, with a village, in Streatham parish, Surrey; ¾ mile SSW of Balham-Hill r. station, and 5½ SSW of St. Pauls, London. It was constituted in 1855; and it has a post-office‡ under London SW. Pop., 1,055. Houses, 167. A property here belonged once to Bec abbey in Normandy. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, about £350. Patron, the Rector of Streatham. The church was built in 1855, at a cost of £6,000; and schools were built in 1866.

Upper Tooting through time

Upper Tooting is now part of Wandsworth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wandsworth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Upper Tooting itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Upper Tooting, in Wandsworth and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21124

Date accessed: 18th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Upper Tooting ".