Place:


Sneinton  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sneinton like this:

SNENTON, or Sneinton, a parish, which is also a sub-district, in Radford district, Notts; suburban to the SE side of Nottingham; and consisting of S.-Elements, Old S., New S., and the Hermitage. It took its name from the same source as Nottingham; is thought by some writers to have been the cradle or original of that town; was given, by King John, to W. ...


de Briwere; passed to the Pierre-ponts; had no greater seat of population, in the early years of the present century, than a few straggling houses; rose thence to the condition of a great suburb, with well built streets; shares now in the general interests of Nottingham; carries on lace-making, hose-making, the manufacture of chemicals, and the making of Roman cement, plaster, and bricks; and has a post-office, of the name of S. -Elements, under Nottingham. Acres, 720. Real property, £27,277. Pop. in 1851, 8,440; in 1861, 11,048. Houses, 278. The manor belongs to Earl Manvers. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £227.* Patron, Earl Manvers. The church was rebuilt in 1840; is in the early English style, cruciform, and 120 feet long; and has a tower 90 feet high. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and the Notts lunatic asylum.

Sneinton through time

Sneinton is now part of Nottingham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Nottingham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sneinton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sneinton, in Nottingham and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21078

Date accessed: 10th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sneinton ".