Place:


Penkhull  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Penkhull like this:

PENKHULL, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Stoke-upon-Trent parish, Stafford. The village stands 1¼mile W S W of Stoke-upon-Trent r. station. The township includes the village, and shares largely in theprosperity of the Potteries. Real property, £235, 609; of which £108, 956 are in railways, £69, 705 in canals, and £20 in quarries. ...


Pop. in 1851, 9, 207; in 1861, 10, 865. Houses, 2, 135. The Stoke workhouse is here; and, at the census of 1861, had 391 inmates. The chapelry includes but a portion of the township, and was constituted in 1844. Post-town, Stoke-upon-Trent. Pop. in 1861, 2, 110. Houses, 365. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £151. Patron, the Rev. T. W. Minton. The church is good; and there is a Primitive Methodist chapel. The new North Stafford infirmary is here; and was built in 1866-8, at a cost of £33,000.

Penkhull through time

Penkhull is now part of Stoke on Trent district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stoke on Trent has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Penkhull itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Penkhull, in Stoke on Trent and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21049

Date accessed: 24th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Penkhull ".