Place:


Morice  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Morice like this:

MORICE, or MORICE-Town, a suburb of Devonport, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Stoke-Damerel district, Devon. The suburb lies on the NW of Devonport-proper, beyond the lines with which the town and arsenal are surrounded; is included within Devenport borough; took its name from the Morices, who held the manor of Stoke-Damerel from 1677 till 1749; has wharves on a creek of the Hamoaze, Keyham steam-basin, a blockhouse, a powder magazine, and a large brewery; and is inhabited chiefly by persons employed in the docks, or connected with them.—The chapelry bears the name of St. ...


James-the-Great, and was constituted in 1846. Pop. in 1861,6,655. Houses, 596. The living a p. curacy in the diocese of Exeter. Valne, £300. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church is noticed in the article DEVoNPoRT. A Bible Christian chapel, with 500 sittings, and an adjoining school-room with capacity for 200 children, were built in 1865.-The subdistrict is much larger than the chapelry. Pop. in 1851, 9,372; in 1861,14,089. Houses, 838.

Morice through time

Morice is now part of Plymouth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Plymouth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Morice itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Morice, in Plymouth and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21015

Date accessed: 22nd April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Morice ".