Place:


Llandough Juxta Cowbridge  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llandough Juxta Cowbridge like this:

LLANDOUGH, a parish in Bridgend district, Glamorgan; on the river Cowbridge, 1 mile S of Cowbridge r. station. Post town, Cowbridge. Acres, 683. Real property, £853. Pop., 119. Houses, 25. The property is all in one estate. Llandough House, a castellated mansion, including some remains of an ancient castle, belonged formerly to Col. ...


Morgan, and belongs now to R. Boteler, Esq. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of St. Mary Church, in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £325.* Patron,R. N. Talbot, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Dochdwy; is in good condition; and contains an effigies of a Walche of the ancient Llandongh Castle. Walters, the author of the Welsh dictionary, was rector.

Llandough Juxta Cowbridge through time

Llandough Juxta Cowbridge is now part of The Vale of Glamorgan district. Click here for graphs and data of how The Vale of Glamorgan has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llandough Juxta Cowbridge itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llandough Juxta Cowbridge in The Vale of Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20990

Date accessed: 16th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llandough Juxta Cowbridge ".