Place:


Knutton  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Knutton like this:

KNUTTON, a village and a township in Wolstanton parish, Stafford. The village stands 1 mile NW of Newcastle-under-Lyne; and is a scattered rapidly-increasing place. The township includes also the greater part of Silverdale village, and a tract, called Knutton-Heath, which abounds with ironstone, and lately was a common. ...


Real property, £23,885; of which £10,134 are in mines, and £4,333 in iron-works. Pop. in 1851, 1,918; in 1861,4,464. Houses, 935. The increase of pop. arose mainly from the establishment of new ironworks. Coal is extensively mined. The Newcastle race-course is on the skirts of Knutton-Heath. There are a schoolroom licensed for Church of England service under Silverdale, a Primitive Methodist chapel, and a United Free Methodist chapel; and the last was built in 1863.

Knutton through time

Knutton is now part of Newcastle under Lyme district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newcastle under Lyme has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Knutton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Knutton, in Newcastle under Lyme and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20973

Date accessed: 19th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Knutton ".