Place:


Dinas Powys  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dinas Powys like this:

DINAS-POWIS, a village and a hundred in Glamorgan. The village stands 4½ miles SW of Cardiff; and has a post office under Cardiff, and remains of a castle built by Jestyn ab Gwrgan. The hundred lies around the village; and contains twenty-seven parishes. Acres, 40, 601. Pop., 7, 661. Houses, 1, 434.

Dinas Powys through time

Dinas Powys is now part of The Vale of Glamorgan district. Click here for graphs and data of how The Vale of Glamorgan has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dinas Powys itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dinas Powys in The Vale of Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20895

Date accessed: 21st September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dinas Powys ".