Place:


Pilkington  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pilkington like this:

PILKINGTON, a township in Prestwich parish, and a sub-district in Bury district, Lancashire. The township lies adjacent to the river Irwell and the East Lancashire railway, 5¼ miles N N W of Manchester; is cut into the three sections of Outwood, Unsworth, and Whitefieldor Stand; contains the hamlets of Ringley, Cinderhill, Blackford, and Hollins; is supplied with water from the Bury waterworks, and with gas from the Radcliffe and Pilkington gas-works; has a post-office of Whitefield, ‡under Manchester; carries on industry in coal mines, several large cotton factories, bleach-works, and dye-works; and contains the churches of Ringley, Unsworth, and Stand, seven dissenting chapels, two endowed grammar schools, and two national schools. ...


Acres, 5, 378. Real property, £41, 765; of which £2, 837 are in mines, and £28 in iron-works. Pop. in 1851, 12, 863; in 1861, 12, 303. Houses, 2, 506. The manor belongs to the Earl of Derby. Outwood Park and Outwood Lodge arechief residences. The sub-district is nearly identicalwith the township, differing only in excluding two smalluninhabited portions.

Pilkington through time

Pilkington is now part of Bury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pilkington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pilkington, in Bury and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20826

Date accessed: 08th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pilkington ".