Place:


Shieldaig  Ross and Cromarty

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Shieldaig like this:

Shieldaig, a quoad sacra parish and a village on the W coast of Ross-shire. The quoad sacra parish, comprehending portions of the civil parishes of Applecross and Lochcarron, was constituted by the General Assembly in 1833, and reconstituted by the Court of Teinds since 1851. Its church is a parliamentary one, built in 1827, and containing 300 sittings. ...


Stipend, £137. A Free church was built in 1876.-The village of Shieldaig stands on the E side of Loch Shieldaig, 6 miles NNW of Jeantown. Loch Shieldaig is a southward offshoot of the middle division of Loch Torridon; and measures 3 miles in length, by 21/8 miles across the entrance. In its bosom lies Shieldaig island, 50 feet high. A stupendous cliff of shelving precipices, tier above tier, rises immediately behind the village to a height of 1691 feet, and completely screens the inner part of the neighbouring marine waters. Most of the villagers are employed in the herring fishery. Pop. of q. s. parish (1871) 1395, (1881) 1332, of whom 1281 were in Applecross, and 1257 were Gaelic-speaking.—Ord. Sur., sh. 81, 1882.

Shieldaig through time

Shieldaig is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shieldaig itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shieldaig, in Highland and Ross and Cromarty | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20815

Date accessed: 23rd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shieldaig ".