Place:


Howdon  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Howdon like this:

HOWDEN, or HOWDEN-PANS, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Wallsend parish, Northumberland. The village stands on the river Tyne, adjacent to the Newcastle and Tynemouth railway, 2½ miles SW by W Howden, on the railway, and a post office, of the name of Howden-Pans, under Newcastle-upon-Tyne. ...


It was noted, in the 16th and 17th centuries, for extensive glassworks; it afterwards had numerous salt pans, whence it took the suffix to its alternative name; it now has shipbuilding yards, a brewery, and the extensive works of the River Tyne Commissioners; and it is adjacent to a commodious dock, called the Northumberland Dock, opened in 1857, and situated in Chirton township, Tynemouth parish.-The township includes the village, and extends beyond it. Pop., 1, 313. Houses, 179.—The chapelry is more extensive than the township, and was constituted in 1859. Pop., 3, 443. Houses, 554. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value, £196. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. There are three dissenting chapels.

Howdon through time

Howdon is now part of North Tyneside district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Tyneside has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Howdon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Howdon, in North Tyneside and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20812

Date accessed: 22nd July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Howdon ".