Place:


Ullapool  Ross and Cromarty

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Ullapool like this:

Ullapool, a village and a quoad sacra parish in Lochbroom parish, NW Ross and Cromarty. Backed to the E by a hill 900 feet high, the village stands on the NE shore of salt-water Loch Broom, 50 miles by water ESE of Stornoway, and 32 by road NW of Garve station on the Dingwall and Skye railway, this being 11¾ miles W by N of Dingwall. ...


With Stornoway it communicates by steamer, and with Garve and Dingwall by coach. It was founded in 1788 by the British Fishery Society, and was intended to be a beautiful and spacious town on a regular plan. But, in consequence of the great declension which took place in the herring fisheries, its progress was arrested until, having passed from the proprietorship of the Fishery Society to that of the late Sir James Matheson, Bart., of Lewis, it underwent great improvement alike in its physical condition and in its appliances for traffic and communications. It exhibits, over the face of its terraced promontory, several lines of houses, most of them whitewashed, and either slated or tiled. In the foreground are a neat harbour and a breakwater-the harbour safe, spacious, and well kept. The principal buildings, both public and private, are all arranged along the beach facing the loch, and extending from end to end of the village. Three streets of houses behind, parallel, spacious, and provided with garden-plots, were lined off for the poorer fishermen, but have never been finished. Still the village is well suited to be a noble watering-place, its beach being capital bathing ground, its climate pleasant and salubrious, and its mountain scenery highly picturesque. There are a post office, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments, a branch of the National Bank, a good hotel, an Established church (1829; 600 sittings), a Free church, dating from Disruption times, and a large public school (1877). The quoad sacra parish, constituted by the General Assembly in 1833, and reconstituted by the Court of Teinds in 1859, is in the presbytery of Lochcarron and the synod of Glenelg. The minister's stipend in £150. Pop. of village (1836) 730, (1861) 908, (1871) 752, (1881) 897; of q. s. parish (1871) 2624, (1881) 2573, of whom 2240 were Gaelic. speaking.—Ord. Sur., sh. 101, 1882.

Ullapool through time

Ullapool is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ullapool itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ullapool, in Highland and Ross and Cromarty | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20481

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ullapool ".