Place:


Saul  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Saul like this:

SAUL, a parish, with a village, in Wheatenhurst district, Gloucester; near the river Severn, 4 miles N W of Stonehouse r. station. It has a post-office under Stone-house. Acres, 564. Real property, £2, 166; of which £431 are in the Gloucester and Berkeley and the Thames and Severn canals. ...


Pop., 607. Houses, 144. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £125.* Patron, the Bishop of G. and B. The church is old, and was repaired and enlarged about 1850. The rectory of Framilode is a separate benefice. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, a British school, and charities £5.

Saul through time

Saul is now part of Stroud district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stroud has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Saul itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Saul, in Stroud and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20433

Date accessed: 15th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Saul ".