Place:


Radford  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Radford like this:

RADFORD, a suburban town, a parish, a sub-district, and a district in Notts. The town is suburban to Nottingham; lies on the river Leen and on the Nottingham and Mansfield railway, 1½ mile W N W of the centre of Nottingham; consists of two parts, called Old R. and New R.; increased its population nearly sixfold between 1801 and 1861; shares largely in the manufactures of Nottingham, chiefly lace and stockings; and has a post-office under Nottingham, a railway-station, two churches, six dissenting chapels, a national school, a workhouse, and charities £12. ...


St. Peter's church was rebuilt in 181 2; and is a neat Gothic edifice, with a tower. Christchurch was built in 1845, and is in New Rad ford. The parish includes Kensington, New Coleorton, and part of Hyson-Green, and comprises 1,000 acres. Real property, £27, 659. Pop. in 1851, 12, 637; in 1861, 13, 495. Houses, 2, 858. The manor belongs to J. S. Gregory, Esq. Gas-works were erected in 1844; and coal ismined. The living of St. Peter is a vicarage, and that of Christchurch is a p. curacy, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value of the former, £293; * of the latter, £300. Patron of the former, the Lord Chancellor; of the latter, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The sub-district comprises the parts of Rad ford and Lenton parishes N of the road from Nottingham to Ilkeston and S W of the road to Alfreton. Pop. in 1851, 8, 888; in 1861, 10, 192. Houses, 2, 162. The districtcomprehends also the sub-district of Lenton, containing the parts of Rad ford and Lenton parishes S of the Nottingham and Ilkeston road, together with the extra-parochial tract of Brewhouse-Yard; the sub-district of Hyson-Green, containing the rest of Radford and Lenton parishes; and the sub-district of Snenton, conterminate with Snenton parish. Acres of the district, 6, 800. Poor-rates in 1863, £9, 211. Pop. in 1851, 26, 776; in 1861, 30, 479. Houses, 6, 366. Marriages in 1863, 229; births, 1,055, of which 80 were illegitimate; deaths, 686, of which. 355 were at ages under 5 years, and 11 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 2, 802; births, 11, 281; deaths, 7, 241. The places of worship, in 1851, were 4 of the Church of England, with 2, 801sittings; 3 of Independents, with 422 s.; 2 of Baptists, with 410 s.; 5 of Wesleyans, with 1, 400 s.; 3 of New Connexion Methodists, with 802 s.; 2 of Primitive Methodists with 393 s.: 1 of the Wesleyan Association, with 140 s.; and 1 of Latter Day Saints with 300 s. The schools were 6 public day schools, with 831 scholars; 43private day schools, with 1,097 s.; and 17 Sunday schools, with 2, 799 s.

Radford through time

Radford is now part of Nottingham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Nottingham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Radford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Radford, in Nottingham and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20419

Date accessed: 15th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Radford ".