Place:


Pontardawe  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pontardawe like this:

PONT-AR-DAWE, a hamlet in Killybebill parish, in Glamorgan; on the river Tawe, and on the Swansea Vale railway, 8 miles N N E of Swansea. It has a station on the railway, a post-office‡ under Swansea, a one-arched-bridge of 80 feet in span over the Tawe, and a church in the decorated English style, with tower and spire 200 feet high, erected in 1860, by J Parsons, Esq.

Pontardawe through time

Pontardawe is now part of Neath Port Talbot district. Click here for graphs and data of how Neath Port Talbot has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pontardawe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pontardawe, in Neath Port Talbot and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20410

Date accessed: 06th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pontardawe ".