Place:


Morriston  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Morriston like this:

MORRISTON, a village and a chapelry in Llangafelach parish, Glamorgan. The village stands on the river Taw, near the South Wales railway, 2½ miles NNE of Swansea; takes its name from the family of Morris, who founded it; is a large place, inhabited chiefly by workmen in neighbouring potteries and copper-works, and by colliers; and has a post office‡ under Swansea, and a fair on 29 March.—The chapelry has no definite limits. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £85. Patron, Sir A. Morris. The church is modern.

Morriston through time

Morriston is now part of Swansea district. Click here for graphs and data of how Swansea has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Morriston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Morriston, in Swansea and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20372

Date accessed: 15th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Morriston ".