Place:


Maxwelltown  Kirkcudbrightshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Maxwelltown like this:

Maxwelltown, town and quoad sacra par. with ry. sta., Troqueer par., and police burgh, partly also in Terregles par., Kirkcudbright - par., pop. 2070; town, pop. 4455; police burgh, pop. 4576; the town is included in the parliamentary burgh of Dumfries, with which Maxwelltown is connected by bridges over the Nith. Maxwelltown (previous to 1810 called Bridgend) has tweed mills, grain mills, saw mills, a dyework, nursery grounds, &c. In S. vicinity, on Corbelly Hill, are an observatory (with museum) and the convent and church (1881-1884) of the Immaculate Conception.

Maxwelltown through time

Maxwelltown is now part of Dumfries and Galloway district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dumfries and Galloway has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Maxwelltown itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Maxwelltown, in Dumfries and Galloway and Kirkcudbrightshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20369

Date accessed: 17th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Maxwelltown ".