Place:


Llangyfelach  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llangyfelach like this:

LLANGAFELACH, or LLANGYFELACH, a village, a parish, a sub-district, and a hundred in Glamorgan. The village stands near the river Tawe, the Swansea canal, and the Vale of Neath railway, 4 miles WNW of Llansamlet r. station, and 3½ N of Swansea; and has a fair on 1 March.—The parish contains also the village of Morriston, which has a post office under Swansea; and it includes the hamlets of Clase, Penderry, Mawr, and Rhyndwy-Clydach. ...


Acres, 27,305. Real property, £31,751; of which £6,470 are in mines, and £3,074 in the canal. Pop. in 1851,10,895; in 1861,13,219. Houses, 2,687. The property is much subdivided. The manor formerly belonged to Brecon college. Much of the land is naturally barren, and not a little has an aspect of extreme desolation. Copper-works and collieries employ a large proportion of the inhabitants; and they greatly disfigure the landscape. The fluoric or arsenical acids from the copper works keep down the naturally poor vegetation; the heaps of slag are an eye-sore; and the clouds of smoke from the numerous chimneys bedim the atmosphere. Many of the workmen and the colliers reside in the large village of Morriston. A battle was fought within the parish in 990, when Howel, prince of South Wales, was beaten. Some Roman relics have been found. The living is a vicarage, united with the o. curacy of Gorseinon, in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £300. Patron, the Bishop of St. David's. The church is dedicated to St. Cyvelach; is a modern edifice, separated from the tower of an ancient one; and contains monuments to the Llewelyns of Penlergare. The p. curacies of Morriston and Clydach are separate benefices. There are chapels for Independents, Calvinistic Methodists, and Wesleyans, and charities £29.—The sub-district contains only the Clase hamlet of the parish, including the village of Morriston; but contains also the parish of St. John-near-Swansea, and the higher division of Swansea parish; and is in Swansea district. Pop., in 1851,9,812; in 1861, 14,553. Houses, 2,990.-The hundred contains the parishes of Llangafelach, Llansamlet, and Llanguick. Acres, 48,690. Pop. in 1851,11,829; in 1861,17,923. Houses, 3,611.

Llangyfelach through time

Llangyfelach is now part of Swansea district. Click here for graphs and data of how Swansea has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llangyfelach itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llangyfelach, in Swansea and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20351

Date accessed: 15th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llangyfelach ".