Dowlais  Glamorgan


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dowlais like this:

DOWLAIS, a chapelry in Merthyr-Tydvil parish, Glamorgan; on the Merthyr-Tydvil and Abergavenny railway, 2¼ miles NE of Merthyr-Tydvil. It contains Heolwermood and Garth; and has a post office‡ under Merthyr-Tydvil. Rated property, £22, 000. Pop., 15, 590. Houses, 2, 980. The property is much sub-divided. ...

Dowlais House belonged formerly to Sir John Guest, Bart.; and is now the residence of G. Clarke, Esq. A vast iron establishment is here, including seventeen furnaces, and huge rolling-mills and forges. Great improvement was made in the sanitary and social condition of the work people by Sir John Guest; and a neat building was erected to his memory, and serves as a library and institution. The chapelry was constituted in 1837. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £150.* Patron, the Marquis of Bute.

Dowlais through time

Dowlais is now part of Merthyr Tydfil district. Click here for graphs and data of how Merthyr Tydfil has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dowlais itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dowlais, in Merthyr Tydfil and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 18th October 2019

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dowlais ".