Place:


Compton Greenfield  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Compton Greenfield like this:

COMPTON-GREENFIELD, a parish in Clifton district, Gloucester; on the Bristol and South Wales Union railway, near the estuary of the Severn, 6 miles NNW of Bristol. Post town, Almondsbury, under Bristol. Acres, 650. Real property, £3, 720. Pop., 52. Houses, 8. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £144.* Patron, R.Lippincott, Esq. The church was mainly rebuilt in 1852; and is in the early English style; but has a fine Norman doorway, and an ancient, embattled, ivy-clad tower.

Compton Greenfield through time

Compton Greenfield is now part of South Gloucestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Gloucestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Compton Greenfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Compton Greenfield in South Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20234

Date accessed: 26th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Compton Greenfield ".