Place:


Broxburn  West Lothian

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Broxburn like this:

Broxburn, a mining and manufacturing village of Uphall parish, Linlithgowshire, standing at a curve of the Union Canal, on the Edinburgh and Glasgow highroad, and on the right bank of the Brox Burn, 1 mile N by W of Drumshoreland station on the North British, this being 115/8 miles W of Edinburgh, and 7¾ miles E by N of Bathgate. ...


It consists of one long straggling street, and has a post office, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments, a branch bank of the British Linen Company, 3 inns, and a Gothic public hall, seated for 500, and erected with billiard and reading rooms in 1873 at a cost of £1300. Places of worship are a Free church, a U.P. church (1880; 400 sittings; cost, £3000) with a spire 90 feet high, and a handsome Roman Catholic church (1881); a public and a Roman Catholic school, with respective accommodation for 423 and 108 children, had (1879) an average attendance of 289 and 92, and grants of £232,14s. 6d. and £77,18s. At or close to the village are a colliery, 3 shale oil works, a fish manure factory, and a composition brick yard. Pop. (1861) 660, (1871) 1457, (1881) 3210.

Broxburn through time

Broxburn is now part of West Lothian district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lothian has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Broxburn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Broxburn in West Lothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20204

Date accessed: 12th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Broxburn ".