Place:


Avonmouth  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Avonmouth like this:

AVONMOUTH, a new sea-port in the SW of Gloucester; at the mouth of the river Avon, and at the terminus of the Bristol Port and Pier railway, 5¾ miles NW by W of Clifton. The railway and the pier were opened in 1865; and a dock, 1,400 feet long and 85 wide, was being constructed in 1869. The port is to accommodate such large vessels as cannot readily go up the Avon to Bristol.

Avonmouth through time

Avonmouth is now part of Bristol district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bristol has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Avonmouth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Avonmouth, in Bristol and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20168

Date accessed: 18th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Avonmouth ".