Place:


Lindsey  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lindsey like this:

LINDSEY (PARTS OF), the N and NE division of Lincolnshire. It is separated from the S and SE division mostly by the river Witham; but it projects beyond that river, along the right bank of the Brant, to Waddington, and has an artificial boundary east-north-eastward thence to the neighbourhood of Bardney; and it recedes from the Witham at Frith-Bank, about 3 miles above Boston, -retires thence curvingly north-eastward to the Lade Bank, near Nordyke bridge, -and has a boundary thence partly eastward along the Lade Bank, and partly artificial thence southeastward to the sea. ...


Its topography, and most of its statistics, are given in the article LINCOLNSHIRE. Its name was anciently written Lindisse; and is a corruption of the Lindon of Ptolemy, with the affix e or ey, signifying "island. ''It was conquered by Edwin of Northumbria, who introduced Christianity to it, through the ministry of Paulinus; and it was overrun, and held for a time, by the Danes, who landed at Humberstone, near Grimsby, and marched to Bardney, where they massacred the monks in church. It gives the title of Earl to the Berties of Uffington. Acres, 996,604. Pop. in 1851,185,032; in 1861, 229,816. Houses, 48,533.

Lindsey through time

Lindsey is now part of West Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lindsey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lindsey, in West Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20146

Date accessed: 09th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lindsey ".