Place:


Dudley  Worcestershire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Dudley like this:

Dudley.-- parl. and mun. bor. and par., in a detached section of E. Worcestershire, on Dudley Canal, 8 miles NW. of Birmingham and 122 miles NW. of London -- parl. bor. (extending into Staffordshire), 7712 ac., pop. 87,527; mun. bor. and par. (including Dudley Castle Hill), 3930 ac., pop. 46,252; 2 Banks, 2 newspapers. ...


Market-day, Saturday. Dudley is situated in the centre of the "Black Country, " at a junction of the Great Western Ry., and has extensive coal mines, iron mines and ironworks, and limestone quarries; it has also glass-works, brass-foundries, and brickworks; tanning, malting, and brewing. The nail mfr. alone. gives employment to several thousands. The old castle (said to have been founded in the 8th century by a Saxon prince, Dodo or Dud, who gave his name to the town) was destroyed by fire in 1750, but the keep still remains. The bor. returns 1 member to Parl.

Dudley through time

Click here for graphs and data of how Dudley has changed over two centuries. For statistics for historical units named after Dudley go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dudley in Worcestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/201

Date accessed: 20th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dudley ".