Place:


Oldbury on the Hill  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oldbury on the Hill like this:

OLDBURY-ON-THE-HILL, a parish, with a village, in Tetbury district, Gloucester; among the Cotswolds, adjacent to Wilts, 5¾ miles S W of Tetbury, and 6¼ E of Wickwar r. station. Post-town, Chippenham. Acres, 1, 342. Real property, £2, 584. Pop. in 1851, 485; in 1861, 440. Houses, 105. ...


The decrease of pop. was caused by the closing of a large boarding-school. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Didmarton, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Joint value, £387.* Patron, the Duke of Beaufort. The church is early English; and consists of nave and chancel, with a tower. There is a village school.

Oldbury on the Hill through time

Oldbury on the Hill is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Oldbury on the Hill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oldbury on the Hill, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20082

Date accessed: 20th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Oldbury on the Hill ".