Place:


Lilley  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lilley like this:

LILLEY, or LINDLEY, a village and a parish in Hitchin district, Herts. The village stands near the boundary with Beds, 4 miles N NE of Luton r. station, and 5 WSW of Hitchin; and has a post office under Luton. The parish contains also part of the hamlet of Mangrove. Acres, 1,822. Real property, £2,657. ...


Pop. in 1851, 528; in 1861,480. Houses, 100. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged formerly to the Dockwras family. A park at Putteridge-Bury belongs to George Sowerby, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £500.* Patron, St. John's College, Cambridge. The church is ancient, but good., and consists of nave, chancel, and S porch, with small wooden spire.

Lilley through time

Lilley is now part of North Hertfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Hertfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lilley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lilley in North Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1995

Date accessed: 17th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lilley ".