Place:


Llangarren  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llangarren like this:

LLANGARREN, a village and a parish in Ross district, Hereford. The village stands on the rivulet Garren, a tributary of the Wye, 5½ miles WSW of Ross r. station; and has a post office under Ross. The parish comprises the townships of Kilreague, Llangunnock, Tredooughan, Tretilla, Treeilla, and Langstone-with-TreEvan. ...


Acres, 5,605. Real property, £8,054. Pop., 1,215. Houses, 255. There are several manors. Llangarren Court and Langstone Court are chief residences. The living is a p. curacy, united with the p. curacy of St. Weonard, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, not reported. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford. 'T lie church is mainly Norman; was recently repaired and enlarged; comprises ancient nave and chancel, and n dern aisle, with ancient porch and tower; and contains several monuments. The re a re chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, a national school, a share ini Mrs. F. Scudamore's charity, and other charities £4.

Llangarren through time

Llangarren is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llangarren itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llangarren in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1904

Date accessed: 06th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llangarren ".