Place:


Little Marcle  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Little Marcle like this:

MARCLE (LITTLE), a parish in Ledbury district, Hereford; on an affluent of the river Leadon, adjacent to Gloucestershire, 3¼ miles SW of Ledbury r. station. It has a post office under Ledbury. Acres, 1,218. Real property, £1,753. Pop., 168. Houses, 29. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Earl Somers. The surface is boldly undulating. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £230. * Patron, the Bishop of Hereford. The church was rebuilt in 1869; and is in the decorated English style, with a bell-turret. Charities, £4.

Little Marcle through time

Little Marcle is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Little Marcle itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Little Marcle in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1898

Date accessed: 07th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Little Marcle ".