Place:


Pleasley  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pleasley like this:

PLEASLEY, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in the district of Mansfield and county of Derby. The village stands on the river Meden, at the boundary with Notts, 3¼ miles N W of Mansfield r. station; was once a market town; and has a post-office under Mansfield, and fairs on 6 May and 29 Oct. ...


The old market cross stillstands on the brow of an adjacent hill. The parish contains also the chapelry of Shirebrook and the hamlet of Stoney-Houghton. Acres, 3, 750. Real property, £14, 639; of which £9,000 are in ironworks. Pop., 613. Houses, 132. The property is divided among a few. P. Vale House is the seat of W. Hollins, Esq. P. vale is a romantic spot, 1¼ mile from the village; shows limestonecliffs and ravines; and has two neat factories for cotton and merino spinning. Roman coins and a Roman pavement have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £493.* Patron, W. P. Thornhill, Esq. The church is a long narrow structure, with ill-proportioned tower; and the chancel was rebuilt in 1847. The p. curacy of Shirebrook is a separate benefice. There are a Methodist meeting-place, a mechanics'institute, and charities £10.—The sub-district contains also 4 other parishes and a township. Acres, 16, 294. Pop., 2, 484. Houses, 510.

Pleasley through time

Pleasley is now part of Bolsover district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bolsover has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pleasley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pleasley, in Bolsover and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1820

Date accessed: 17th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pleasley ".