Place:


Burley  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Burley like this:

BURLEY, a tything and a chapelry in Ringwood district, Hants. The tything is in Ringwood parish, at the SW of the New Forest, 2 miles NW of Holmsley r. station, and 5 E by S of Ringwood; and has a post office under Ringwood. Real property, £1,606. Pop., 77. The chapelry includes the tything, but consists mainly of Burley-Ville and part of Burley-Walk; and was constituted in 1840. ...


Acres, 2,500. Pop., 672. Houses, 142. Burley House is the seat ofEsdaile, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £100. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. An ancient church here is supposed to have been demolished by the Conqueror when making the New Forest. The present church is a brick structure in modern Gothic. There is a dissenting chapel.

Burley through time

Burley is now part of New Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how New Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Burley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burley, in New Forest and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1744

Date accessed: 21st July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Burley ".