Place:


Aberchirder  Banffshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Aberchirder like this:

Aberchirder (Gael. abhir-chiar-dur, 'confluence of the dark brown water'), a village in Marnoch parish, Banffshire, 5½ miles SSE of Cornhill station, 7 W by N of Turriff, and 9¼ SW of Banff. It has a post office under the last with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments, a branch of the North of Scotland Bank, and an hotel: and contains, besides, an Established mission church (200 attendants: minister's salary £51), a handsome Free church (built on occasion of the Disruption contest in Marnoch), a U.P. ...


church, a Baptist chapel, St Marnan's Episcopal church (1824: enlarged and restored, 1875-76: 130 attendants), and a Roman Catholic station, served monthly from Portsoy. A public and an Episcopal school, with respective accommodation for 400 and 74 children, had (1879) an average attendance of 207 and 68, and grants of £132, 13s. 2d. and £25, 4s. The name Aberchirder, originally borne by the whole parish, referred probably to the moss-burn of Auchintoul's confluence with the Deveron. Pop. (1861) 1273, (1871) 1312, (1881) 1358.

Aberchirder through time

Aberchirder is now part of Aberdeenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aberdeenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Aberchirder itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Aberchirder, in Aberdeenshire and Banffshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17414

Date accessed: 24th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Aberchirder ".