Place:


Clydebank  Dunbartonshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Clydebank like this:

Clydebank, a village in Old Kilpatrick parish, Dumbartonshire, and a quoad sacra parish, partly also in Renfrew parish, Renfrewshire. The village, on the right bank of the Clyde, 2 miles NW of Renfrew, is of recent growth, chiefly consisting of the houses of workmen employed in a great shipbuilding establishment; at it are a post office, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments, a handsome Established church, which, Early English in style, was built in 1876 at a cost of £3000, a U.P. ...


church, and a public school. The last, with accommodation for 400 children, had (1880) a day and evening average attendance of 199 and 32, and grants of £203,0s. 6d. and £16,15s. 6d. The quoad sacra parish, St James, was constituted in 1875, and is in the presbytery of Dumbarton and synod of Glasgow and Ayr.

Clydebank through time

Clydebank is now part of West Dunbartonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Dunbartonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clydebank itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clydebank in West Dunbartonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17406

Date accessed: 12th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clydebank ".