Place:


Armadale  West Lothian

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Armadale like this:

Armadale, a police burgh in Bathgate parish, W Linlithgowshire, 2½ miles W by S of Bathgate town, and 1 mile N by W of a station of its own name on the Edinburgh-Airdrie-Glasgow section of the North British. Standing amid extensive fields of coal and ironstone, limestone, and brick-clay, it was merely a hamlet up to about 1851, when, owing to the establishment of neighbouring chemical and paraffin works, it suddenly rose to a town. ...


At present it is lighted with gas, and has a post office under Bathgate, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments; an Established mission church (minister's salary £120; 300 attendants), a Free church, St Paul's Episcopal church (built 1858; 300 attendants), and a Wesleyan chapel, while the one public school open in 1879 had then accommodation for 400 children, an average attendance of 300, and a grant of £199,14s. Pop. of burgh (1861) 2504, (1871) 2708, (1881) 2642, besides 383 in landward portion.

Armadale through time

Armadale is now part of West Lothian district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lothian has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Armadale itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Armadale in West Lothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17399

Date accessed: 10th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Armadale ".