Applegarth  Dumfries Shire


In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Applegarth like this:

Applegarth (Norse 'apple-yard,'—orchard), a parish of Annandale, Dumfriesshire, whose western half is traversed by the Caledonian, and contains the two stations of Nethercleuch and Dinwoodie, 3 and 6 miles respectively N by W of its post-town Lockerbie. Including since 1609 the ancient parish of Sibbaldbie, it is bounded N by Wamphray, NE and E by Hutton, S by Dryfesdale, and W by Lochmaben and Johnstone. ...

From N to S its greatest length is 6¾ miles; its breadth from E to W varies between 3 and 5¼ miles; and its area is 11,928¾ acres, of which 59½ are water. The Annan traces nearly all the western boundary; and a fertile alluvial valley, extending thence to a little beyond the railway, rarely in the N exceeds 300, in the S 200, feet above the level of the sea. Dryfe Water runs south-south-eastward towards the Annan through the uplands above this valley; and heights to the W of it-from N to S-are Dinwoodie Hill (871 feet), Blaeberry Hill (635), Gayfield Type (714), Sibbaldbieside (682), and Cleuch-heads (518); to the E of it, Mid Hill (721), Adderlaw (822), Bowhill (813), and Balgray Hill (770). About two-thirds of the entire area are arable, and some 300 acres are under wood; the rocks are variously volcanic, Silurian, and Triassic. Jardine Hall (Sir Alexander Jardine, seventh Bart. since 1672, and owner of 5538 acres in the shire) lies 1¾ mile NNW of Nethercleuch station, and is a good mansion, built in 1814; other residences are Balgray, Hewk, Fourmerkland, and Dinwoodie Lodge; and the landed property is divided among six. A Roman road is thought to have run through Applegarth, in which there are no fewer than 3 camps and 14 hill-forts-2 of the latter on Dinwoodie Hill, where is also the graveyard of a chapel, said to have belonged to the Knights Templars. At the SW angle of the parish stood its -old church, where, on 7 July 1300, Edward I., then marching to besiege Caerlaverock, offered oblation at the altars of SS Nicholas and Thomas à Becket. The site of Sibbaldbie church is marked by Kirkcroft on the Dryfe's left bank, 2½ miles NE of Nethercleuch. Applegarth is in the presbytery of Lochmaben and synod of Dumfries; its minister's income is £357. The present church (built 1760; repaired 1822) stands near where the old one stood, 2 miles SW of Nethercleuch, and contains 380 sittings. Two public schools, Sandyholm and Sibbaldbie, with respective accommodation for 90 and 66 children, had (1879) an average attendance of 48 and 62, and grants of £38, 6s. and £52, 14s. Valuation (1881) £11,979, 1s. Pop. (1831) 999, (1871) 902, (1881) 969.—Ord. Sur., sh. 10,1864.

Applegarth through time

Applegarth is now part of Dumfries and Galloway district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dumfries and Galloway has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Applegarth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Applegarth, in Dumfries and Galloway and Dumfries Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 17th October 2019

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Applegarth ".