Place:


Inverurie  Aberdeenshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Inverurie like this:

Inverurie, parl. and royal burgh, and par., with ry. sta., at the confluence of the Ury with the Don, in co. and 16 miles NW. of Aberdeen - par., 4946 ac., pop. 3038; parl. burgh (partly also in Kintore par.), pop. 2931; royal burgh, pop. 2669; town (including Port Elphinstone in Kintore par.), pop. ...


3048; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks. Inverurie is an ancient place, claiming to have been made a royal burgh by William the Lion or Robert Bruce. It has a few small industries, and is the centre of trade for a considerable extent of surrounding country. William Thom (1799-1850), "the Weaver Poet," was for many years a resident. At the S. end of the town is a conical mound called the Bass of Inverurie. Inverurie is one of the Elgin District of Parliamentary Burghs, which returns 1 member.

Inverurie through time

Inverurie is now part of Aberdeenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aberdeenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Inverurie itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Inverurie in Aberdeenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17072

Date accessed: 06th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Inverurie ".