Place:


Portpatrick  Wigtownshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Portpatrick like this:

Portpatrick, par. and seaport vil. with ry. sta., W. Wigtownshire - par., 9094 ac., pop. 1285; vil., 7½ miles SW. of Stranraer and 21½ NE. of Donaghadee (in Ireland), pop. 591; P.O., T.O.; is well sheltered by lofty cliffs, has a south-westerly exposure, and is resorted to as a watering-place. ...


Portpatrick, as commanding the shortest communication from Britain to Ireland, was formerly of much greater importance. The mail across the channel, established in 1662, ceased to run in 1849; while the massive harbour works, constructed (1821-1843) at a cost of £500,000, have lapsed into a state of utter ruin. Portpatrick derives its name from St Patrick, who, according to the legend, crossed from this place to Ireland.

Portpatrick through time

Portpatrick is now part of Dumfries and Galloway district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dumfries and Galloway has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Portpatrick itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Portpatrick, in Dumfries and Galloway and Wigtownshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17036

Date accessed: 16th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Portpatrick ".