Kirkpatrick Fleming  Dumfries Shire


In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Kirkpatrick Fleming like this:

Kirkpatrick-Fleming, a village and a parish of SE Dumfriesshire. The village, standing near the left bank of Kirtle Water, has a station on the Caledonian railway, 13 miles NW of Carlisle, 3¾ ESE of Kirtlebridge, and 7 ESE of Ecclefechan, under which there is a post office. A combination poorhouse, with accommodation for 120 inmates, was built here in 1852.

The parish, comprising the ancient parishes of Kirkpatrick, Irvine, and Kirkconnel, is bounded N by Middlebie, E by Half-Morton and Gretna, S by Gretna and Dornock, and W by Annan, Dornock (detached), and Middlebie. ...

Its utmost length, from N to S, is 63/8 miles; its breadth, from E to W, varies between 23/8 and 5 miles; and its area is 11,572½ acres, of which 43½ are water. Kirtle Water winds 7 miles along the north-western and western border, and then goes 3½ miles south-eastward through the interior, till it passes off into Gretna on its way to the Sark. Where it quits the parish, the surface declines to 70 feet above sea-level, and thence it rises slowly northward to 225 feet near Hayfield, 349 at Wyseby Hill, and 565 at High Muir-vantage-grounds that command extensive and brilliant views in every direction except to the N. Numerous perennial springs give copious supplies of pure water; and four mineral springs, one of them similar to Moffat Spa, the others to Hartfell Spa, enjoy considerable medicinal repute. The rocks are of the secondary formation, from Devonian upward; and sandstone, limestone, and marble have been worked. The soil of nearly two-thirds of all the parish is humus or decomposed moss, resting upon clay; and that of the rest is generally light and kindly, often a strong red sandy earth, with porous subsoil. About 600 acres are under wood; 850 are unreclaimed moss; 2000 are moorish pasture; and all the rest of the land is regularly or occasionally in tillage. The chief antiquities are Woodhouse Tower, Redhall Tower, Merkland Cross, and Kirkconnel churchyard. James Currie (1756-1805), an eminent physician and Burns's biographer, was a native. Mansions are Springkell, Cove, Kirkpatrick, Langshaw, Mossknow, and Wyseby; and 5 proprietors hold each an annual value of £500 and upwards, 4 of between £100 and £500, 3 of from £50 to £100, and 4 of from £20 to £50. Kirkpatrick-Fleming is in the presbytery of Annan and synod of Dumfries; the living is worth £305. The parish church was partly rebuilt about 1778, and contains 600 sittings. There is also a Free church; and two public schools, Gair and Kirkpatrick-Fleming, with respective accommodation for 101 and 182 children, had (1882) an average attendance of 74 and 111, and grants of £57, 15s. and £104, 2s. 6d. Valuation (1860) £9425, (1883) £12, 565, 3s. 7d. Pop. (1801) 1544, (1831) 1666, (1861) 1925, (1871) 1529, (1881) 1464.—Ord. Sur., shs. 10, 6, 1864-63.

Kirkpatrick Fleming through time

Kirkpatrick Fleming is now part of Dumfries and Galloway district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dumfries and Galloway has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kirkpatrick Fleming itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirkpatrick Fleming, in Dumfries and Galloway and Dumfries Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 17th July 2019

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kirkpatrick Fleming ".