Place:


Langholm  Dumfries Shire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Langholm like this:

Langholm, town and par., E. Dumfriesshire - par., 16,971 ac., pop. 4612; town, on river Esk, 14 miles NW. of Carlisle, and 312 NW. of London by rail, pop. 4209; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-day, Wednesday. The town consists of 2 parts - Old Langholm (made a burgh of barony 1643), on E. ...


bank of river Esk, at the influx of Ewes Water, pop. 2179; and New Iangholm, on W. bank of river Esk, at the influx of Wauchope Water, pop. 2030. The new and the old towns are connected by a stone bridge and an iron suspension foot bridge. Langholm is known for its sheep fairs and its woollen manufactures. The inhabitants find employment in the mills (where the mfr. of Scotch tweeds is carried on), 2 tanworks, and a distillery. Langholm is the headquarters of the Esk and Liddel Fisheries Association, and excellent fishing is had in the Esk. In the vicinity are Langholm Castle, a ruined peel-house, which belonged to the Armstrongs, and Langholm Lodge, a seat of the Duke of Buccleuch.

Langholm through time

Langholm is now part of Dumfries and Galloway district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dumfries and Galloway has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Langholm itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Langholm, in Dumfries and Galloway and Dumfries Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16835

Date accessed: 26th September 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Langholm ".