Place:


Stranraer  Wigtownshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Stranraer like this:

Stranraer, royal and police burgh, seaport town, and par., Wigtownshire, at head of Loch Ryan, 7½ miles NE. of Portpatrick, 73 miles W. of Dumfries, and 87 miles SW. of Glasgow by rail - par., 55 ac., pop. 3528; royal burgh, pop. 3455; police burgh, pop. 6342; town, pop. 6415; P.O., T.O., 5 Banks, 1 newspaper. ...


Market-day, Friday. The police burgh and the town extend into Inch and Leswalt pars. Stranraer has a good agricultural trade, and daily communication by steamer with Larne in Ireland (39 miles) in connection with express railway trains. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) Some fishing is carried on. Stranraer was made a burgh of barony in 1596, and a royal burgh in 1617. The ruin of Stranraer or Kennedy's Castle (15th century) stands in the centre of the town. Stranraer formed one of the Wigtown District of Parliamentary Burghs, which returned 1 member until 1885.

Stranraer through time

Stranraer is now part of Dumfries and Galloway district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dumfries and Galloway has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stranraer itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stranraer, in Dumfries and Galloway and Wigtownshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16814

Date accessed: 16th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stranraer ".